If you haven’t heard of quinoa – you aren’t alone. I hadn’t tried it until this past year.
If you have heard of quinoa – you may know that some people refer to it as the new super food. It’s high in protein (12%-18%) and contains a balanced set of essential amino acids – this means it’s a surprisingly complete protein. It’s also high in fiber and iron.
I’ve heard of making quinoa for breakfast, but had never tried it until now! The funny thing is, quinoa is probably an almost perfect choice for breakfast to start your day off on the right foot. Here’s a recipe I adapted to what I actually just had in the house.
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked in water according to instructions on package
- 1 Tablespoon golden raisins – I used Sunmaid raisins
- 1 Tablespoon date pieces, chopped- not into dates, so I didn’t use these – popped in a few slices of banana.
- 1 Tablespoon pecan pieces, chopped- don’t like pecans, so I scattered some almonds in.
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Drizzle of pure maple syrup – had only honey, so that’s what I used.
1. Top cooked quinoa with raisins, date pieces, pecan pieces, cinnamon, nutmeg and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Here are a few other sites with yummy Quinoa breakfast recipes:
Check out the comments in my article: How To Be A Breakfast Champion for a really healthy, yummy way my dear friend Michelle has Quinoa for breakfast. I have yet to try it — due to my fear and lack of knowledge about cooking Kale, but it sounds great!
What’s your favorite way to eat Quinoa in the morning?
Leave me a comment and Please click the Tweet This or Like button on Facebook!