Several years ago I led the successful, busy, productive, AMAZING team over at LKRsocialmedia.com for almost 3 years. Before that offline teams in animation and visual effects. I’ve seen it all – growing teams, flailing teams, ones that were doomed from the start. Ones that soared without even trying.
And – as I’ve been spending more and more time with entrepreneurs who want and need their own teams for launches, growing their businesses, I see lots of mistakes. Lots of stumbling.
Lots of frustration.
Perhaps you know what I’m talking about. You know you need help on your launch.
People up and disappear during your busiest time during a launch… or in the middle of putting your product together.
Have you experienced this?
You might not get response after you hire and pay someone.
Maybe you are never quite sure if work you’re assigning is getting done.
It all pretty much sucks the life out of you.
You spend more time doling out tasks than growing your business.
So you give up and decide to do everything again on your own.
Is any of this sounding familiar?
Well – if you are ready to get the help you need, take responsibility for your business, outsource to a virtual team, then you’ve come to the right place.
Instead of writing a series of blog posts over the next 6 months, I’ve gathered some resources that will show you the way, answer your questions and help you build your team (or wait until you need one).
Each chapter contains several links to hand-picked blog posts that show exactly how and when to build an amazing team, manage them with finesse, and know how to improve team performance as your business grows.
This will be a living resource, so bookmark this page.
Are you ready to learn how to find the best people for your online team? If so, keep reading.
Introducing: The Ultimate Virtual Team Building Resource
Here is how you get started. Click one of the chapter links below and you’ll jump to your desired chapter… without refreshing the page. So, pick any chapter that strikes your fancy to get started.
- Chapter 1: When to Hire
- Chapter 2: Identify Who You Need To Hire
- Chapter 3: Do you bootstrap or hire a full-time team?
- Chapter 4: How to find the right people
- Chapter 5: Where to find the right people
- Chapter 6: Why should I outsource anyways?
- Chapter 7: How to improve team performance
- Chapter 8: Tips for Managing a Virtual Team
- Chapter 9: How to Handle Team Problems
- Chapter 10: The Art of Outsourcing + Delegation
- Chapter 11: Awesome Online Teams
- Bonus Chapters: Fiverr 101
If you like this team building resource, please remember to share it with your friends by Tweeting it.
Let’s get started:
There’s nothing worse than hiring before you are ready. Can you say money wasted? Time down the drain? These posts will get you started and help you make the difficult decision to hire or not to hire. You may not want to hear that you should wait to hire, but you’ll be happy you waiting, thought about it and figured out if you were indeed ready.
- Read Before You Hire: Should You Hire a VA? | The Mogul Mom
- Do You Really Need to Hire a Team? | Anne Samoilov
- How to Build a Great Virtual Team | Inc.com
- How NOT to Hire Your First Virtual Assistant | Liz Lockard
- When to Hire Team Members | Chris LoCurto
- Watch This Before You Hire Anyone For Your Business | Marie Forleo
Once you know you’re ready to hire…now comes the hard work of identifying what role or roles to fill your first. Here are a few posts that give some unexpected ways to build your team once you’ve given yourself the green light.
- How to Build Your A-Team | Anne Samoilov
- Startup Hiring Tips | Mashable
- Top 5 Personality Traits Employers Hire Most | Forbes
- Help! I Need Somebody | Build A Little Biz
- Who Should Your First Hire Be? | Makers Row
You see the gurus, hot shots, big players all seem to have these teams. They’ve got a person handling customer service, web development, maybe 2 of each. Sometimes it seems like you should have a team too – in order to play pro. Or do you? Some of the biggest names I personally know did not have a team until they were well established and making well above 6 figures.So find out what you should do – and think about your own business as a unique entity. Not everyone needs a full-time team!
- 5 Ways to Push Your Company Past the Startup Phase | Mashable
- How to Hire an A-Team | Read Write
- Creative Ways to Grow While Bootstrapping a Startup | Sweet Fish Media
- Build a Fast-Growing Company on a Bootstrap Budget | Inc
- Portrait of a Modern Day Bootstrapper | Slideshare
- Recruiting While Bootstrapping: How To Hire Rock Stars In Lean Times | Forbes
Now, let’s find the best people for the job. You’ll learn what to focus on when hiring, how to use your intuition and gut instinct, and how hiring for your company will change as your company grows.
- Want a Great Team? Focus on Talent, Not Hiring | Tech Cruch
- How To Use Your Intuition To Hire The Best People | LKR Social Media
- How to Hire THE A-Team | Forbes
- Ready, Set, Hire: 5 Ways For Finding Your Perfect Match | LKR Social Media
- 6 Secrets for Building a Super Team | GigaOm
- 8 Qualities to Look for When Hiring Employees for Your Small Business | Staples
This is a starting point only. Truth is – you can find amazing people next door, in your mom’s group, on your mailing list, on craigslist. Seriously, craigslist. So, get started – read these for some first steps, but then dive in and do your own searching!
- Building and Managing Virtual Teams | Treehouse Blog
- Online Outsourcing Guide to Finding Good Freelancers at Fiverr | Stella Anokam
- Finally-The Secret to Finding The Phenomenal Assistant | Digital Sophisticate
Let’s get into the reasons why you should outsource and how to get started with little to know risk.
- Outsourcing Secrets: How to Manage Your Team | James Wedmore
- Do You Need to Outsource? | Anne Samoilov
- Call In The Experts | Anne Samoilov
- Commit To Your Core: 9 Reasons Why Every Entrepreneur Should Outsource | On Startups
- Outsourcing: A Mompreneur’s Answer to Overwhelm | The Mogul Mom
- What Business Owners Should Outsource Now | Forbes
Improving your team’s performance and productivity is more than knowing how to manage people. You must understand how to interact with human beings – so they feel motivated, engaged, interested, and actually care to do a good job. It’s an art that takes time and lots practice – and even then you don’t always get it right.
- Top 6 Rules of Employee Engagement | Amex OpenForum
- Seven Ways to Get Your Unmotivated Workers Off Their Butts | Entrepreneur
- Recognizing Employees and Building a Business | Amex OpenForum
- What Employees Really Want-and 4 Ways to Deliver it | Amex OpenForum
- Build a High Performance Virtual Team | Teamwork
Managing a team, the flow of work between team members, knowing when to micromanage a bit, and when to lay off… it’s all part of the fun of managing a team of people in different time zones. Virtual teams have their own little flavor and managing them takes patience, finesse, and often long hours to be present for each person!
- Tales From The Trenches | GigaOm
- 7 Effective Tools for Managing a Virtual Team | Amex OpenForum
- 10 Tips for Managing Virtual Teams | Tech Republic
- 6 Simple Actions to Stay Connected With Your Team and Keep Them Motivated
- Apps That Can Help Your Web Team Get More Done | Entrepreneur
- 21 Essential Strategies For Managing Virtual Teams | Time Doctor
- How To Manage Virtual Teams Like A Millionaire CEO | Allison Maslan
Enough said, right? These posts will get you started understanding some of the common challenges of working with a virtual team and also how to hire from the start to avoid those challenges. Wanted to share a few posts dedicated to this topic – but you can find more in the managing a team chapter!
- More Than A Few Reasons why Hiring The Wrong Person Is All Your Fault
- Creating Your Ideal Assistant | Systems Rock
- How Leaders Can Best Manage Conflict Within Their Teams | Entrepreneur
Outsourcing requires you to be a master of delegation. That’s why these two go hand in hand. If you can delegate, then you know how to manage a group of people…which in turn means you are ready to outsource… Read on to get some insight on why to outsource, how to do it quickly and cheaply, and the long term effect it can have on your business.
- 5 Tips for Outsourcing Effectively With Fiverr | Common Sense Marketing
- Fiverr Outsourcing Tips for Bloggers | Problogger
- Best Strategies for Delegating on a Dime | Create Hype
- Hiring a Virtual Assistant – Everything You Need to Know | Smart Passive Income
- The 4-Part Recipe To Building A Strong Launch Team | Anne Samoilov
- 7 Rules For Entrepreneurs To Delegate Effectively | Entrepreneur
There is magic on the teams listed below. They pull off insane launches, world changing events, and produce massive amounts of value for their customers and audiences on a daily basis. Remember that each of these groups grew organically over time.
If you hate Fiverr for whatever reason – don’t read the posts listed below. I think it has merits when used correctly, but I’m more for hiring long term people who spend more than 5 minutes or less on projects. Fiverr is a great way to get your feet wet in outsourcing and delegating.
Okay – what’s next?
There are countless resources and perspectives on building, managing, a growing a strong virtual team.
Ready to be a better boss and hire better people for your next launch? Make sure you check out my program Building Amazing Teams.
I show you how to hire only the strongest supporters you can find – and what you must do yourself to ensure you are never left high and dry during a launch.
And even that doesn’t cover it all.
Got your own favorite virtual team building resources? Link them up for us all in the comments and I’ll add them to the post!
Already hired your first team members? Looking for ways to grow and nurture your team? Check out: The Advanced Guide To Growing A Thriving Team.